Manchester was established in the 1860s and was originally known as Brooklyn. The name was changed to Manchester in 1892 in honor of the city of Manchester, England. Like many communities in the Puget Sound, Manchester was only accessible by boat. Regular steamboat service connected Manchester to nearby communities like Colby, Southworth, and Harper, and to Seattle across the water. Ferry service was discontinued in 1949 and has never resumed.