Hamtramck is a small enclave almost completely surrounded by Detroit, only sharing a small part of its northwestern border with Highland Park, another small enclave almost completely surrounded by Detroit. The city lies 5.5 miles (8.85 kilometers) from downtown Detroit.
The Township of Hamtramck was established in 1798, and was originally settled by Eastern European immigrants, the largest group of those immigrants being made up of Poles. Hamtramck was made a village in 1901, and in between 1910 and 1920 the population of the village exploded from a small 3,589 to 46,615 with the founding of the American automobile industry in Detroit around this time. Hamtramck was incorporated into a city in 1922 fearing that Detroit would try to annex the rest of Hamtramck Township.
Today, Hamtramck has the greatest population density of any city in Michigan, and is also the most diverse city in Michigan, with 26 languages spoken in the Hamtramck Public Schools. The city's motto is appropriately "A League of Nations."