Wilson is located in the Coastal Plain about 40 miles (65 km) east of Raleigh. It is an agricultural center with a large bright leaf tobacco market.
Wilson was settled in 1847 and incorporated in 1849. It was named for Colonel Louis D. Wilson, a prominent state senator and Mexican War volunteer. It prides itself as one of North Carolina's most beautiful cities, with a large and well preserved historic district.