Located northwest of downtown, Highland Park is one of two Wayne County municipalities landlocked by Detroit. Up until early 1900s, Highland Park was a rural farming community at the northern border of Detroit. The city exploded with growth when Henry Ford located his Ford Motor Company Highland Park Plant constructed between 1909 and 1920. By 1930, the population had soared to over 50,000 making it Michigan's densest city.
The city has since fallen on hard times, and was taken over by the State of Michigan in the late 1990s to sort its finances back out. The city is know back on the upswing seeing the most new growth it's seen in decades.