Orange is located west of Newark and East Orange at the foot of the Watchung Ridge. Orange and East Orange merge into a greater community; three of the city's four high-rises cluster with tall buildings in East Orange.
European settlement began in 1666 with the arrival of colonists from Connecticut. Originally known as Mountain Plantations, the area came to be named for William of Orange, later King William III of England. The city was incorporated in 1872. It has been a center of industry as well as a suburb of Newark and New York.