Known as the "Tube City," McKeesport grew as an industrial center producing steel pipe and tubing, fabricated steel, tools and dies, and other metal products. It is located at the confluence of the Youghiogheny and Monongahela Rivers about ten miles southeast of Pittsburgh, and is surrounded by bituminous coal and natural gas deposits. The town was settled in 1755 by the Irishman David McKee, and was laid out in 1795. The first iron factory opened in 1851, initiating steady growth. Incorporation as a city followed in 1890. Population peaked at 55,000 residents in 1940.