Waterbury is a manufacturing city, once famous as the Brass Center of the World. It is located on the Naugatuck River about 30 miles (48 km) southwest of Hartford. Although its industrial base and population have declined since World War II, it is still one of Connecticut's largest cities.
European settlement began in 1674 when colonists from Farmington (near Hartford) bought land here from Indians. Waterbury was incorporated as a town in 1686 and as a city in 1853. Brass manufacturing began in 1802.
Waterbury's skyline is dominated by surrounding hills, punctuated by church steeples and the clock tower of the former railroad station. Centered on The Green, the downtown area also includes several hospitals, hotels, and residential buildings of moderate height, along with a noteworthy collection of buildings by famed architects such as Cass Gilbert and Wilfred E. Griggs.