The second largest town in Virginia, Herndon is located west of Washington, DC in Fairfax County just minutes from Washington Dulles International Airport. Situated at the heart of Northern Virginia's technology corridor, Herndon has a number of mid-rise corporate campuses and office parks.
The area of modern-day Herndon was originally settled in the 18th century. The town itself began in 1857 with the building of a depot and the 1859 completion of the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad which brought with it many shops and a larger influx of people. In 1858, the town was named Herndon upon receiving a post office in honor of Captain William Lewis Herndon.