Towson is a suburb of Baltimore, Maryland and the seat of Baltimore County.
Towson began about 1750 when William and Thomas Towson, two brothers originally from Pennsylvania, started a farm northeast of the present center. In 1768 a large tavern was built at the intersection of York and Joppa Roads by Ezekiel Towson, Thomas' son. A village called "Towsontown" grew up around it. The area became a center for wealthy estates after 1790 with construction of Hampton mansion by the Ridgely family. In 1854 Towson became the Baltimore County Seat.
Towson grew rapidly after World War II and is today a center for education, medicine, county government and law. It is the home of Towson University and Goucher College. The tree-shaded traditional downtown near the courthouse has been augmented by extensive office and residential high-rise developement, as well as the large Towson Town Center mall.