Irvine developed out of the former Irvine Ranch, a sheep and cattle raising venture founded in 1870. In 1959, the Regents of the University of California, working with architect William Pereira, selected the Irvine Ranch as the site for a new campus, the The University of California, Irvine. In 1960, the ranch's owner, the Irvine Company, began working with Pereira on a master plan for development. Out of this master plan emerged the cities of Irvine and Newport Beach.
Tall buildings in Irvine are clustered at the western edge of the city along the San Diego Freeway, near the John Wayne-Orange County Airport, the South Coast Metro in Santa Ana, the South Coast Metro in Costa Mesa, and buildings along MacArthur Boulevard in Newport Beach. More high-rises are located in the Irvine Spectrum near the intersection of the Santa Ana and San Diego Freeways at the eastern end of the city.