An affluent suburb located six miles northwest of Detroit in Oakland County, Birmingham was settled in 1819 as part of Bloomfield Township. In 1838, this part of Bloomfield Township was renamed after Birmingham, England because the residents envisioned the area as becoming a prosperous, industrial area. Though the vision wasn't fully realized, the village became a retreat for Detroit's wealthy businessmen. It was incorporated as a village in 1864, and finally as a city in 1932.
Today, Birmingham serves as one of the 'downtowns' of Oakland County, and is one of the country's most walkable communities.