Lomas de Zamora is one of the more populous cities in Argentina. Its first colonists were of Anglo-Saxon origin, and they built the original city in the typical Anglo-Saxon architecture of those times.
The city's foundation dates from 1861, but the city was not declared until August 5, 1910. The railroad was extended to Lomas de Zamora and it continues to be the main factor in the development of the city. The trains passing here are of Japanese origin and are the speediest in the country.
The city has bilingual schools of international fame, an university, museums, theaters, cultural centres, cinemas and commercial centers.
The most important streets are: Laprida, a pedestrian street with hundreds of local shops, comercial galleries and banks; Hipólito Yrigoyen, the main avenue; and Manuel Castro, the street where the 1938 art moderne municipal building is located.