South of Tel Aviv on the coastline of the Mediterranean Sea, which bequeathed the city with its name, lies Bat Yam, which means in Hebrew "Daughter of the Seas." Began as a small Jewish town in 1926, Bat Yam was officially established only ten years later, after its separation from its northern neighbouring Arab city, Yaffo (nowadays a part of Tel Aviv), as a result of constant attacks on its
Jewish community since 1929.
As long as Yaffo kept its partition between Bat Yam and Tel Aviv, the town has struggled to exist.
Soon after the declaration of the State of Israel in 1948, the city began to grow rapidly, especially during the 1950s. It gained its City Status in 1958 and kept growing ever since.
The city's average density is 15,817 per sq.k., second only to Bnei Brak. Today Bat yam is mostly a residential city in Tel Aviv metropolitan area, which also offers some of the best beaches in alongside with Tel Aviv.